For more than 100 years, Gritman Medical Center has provided quality health care from the same location on Moscow’s Main Street. Since the beginning, when Dr. Charles Gritman arrived in Moscow in 1893, providing state-of-the-art health care and excellent customer service has been a priority.
Initially named Gritman Hospital, we first opened our doors in the former McGregor Hotel in 1897. After Dr. Gritman’s death in 1933, his widow sold the hospital to a group of community leaders who continued its health care offerings in a community-owned, not-for-profit endeavor. To commemorate Dr. Gritman’s vision, the name was changed to Gritman Memorial Hospital.
Growth and expansion of services led to another name change in 1991 with the sentiment that Gritman Medical Center better encompasses the full array of medical services offered.
Today, we continue the mission Dr. Gritman started and are a vital part of the Palouse. As health care has expanded to include wellness initiatives, Gritman has continued to lead the way. We look forward to meeting the ever-changing health care needs of our communities.